Sunday, August 18, 2013

Summer Reading

Some colleges assign summer reading, and most students don't read it. Well, I just completed my summer reading about two minutes ago as I sat on my rug in my unairconditioned dorm room.
The essay was titled "Of the Wings of Atlanta" by W.E.B. Du Bois; and let me tell you- I barely understood any of it. However, there was one specific part that made me think "okay, now I know why they make us read this." Here is the quote:

“The function of the university is not simply to teach breadwinning, or to furnish teachers for the public schools, or to be a centre of polite society; if is, above all, to be the organ of that fine adjustment between real life and the growing knowledge of life, an adjustment from which forms the secret of civilization.”


How fitting. We all want to go to college for the degree and eventually we earn the degree and get a job and live in this demanding world, but the things we learn at college will be much more than the classes we take. Already, I have learned that if you go to a party and need to take your key, you should just attach it to a pony tail and wear it around your wrist. What college professor is gonna teach me that? I know, there are so many other things I could use as an example but it is something every freshman girl needs to know. So if you are reading, please take the tip.

Above all, I am excited for this new adventure. I'm ready to learn life and to find my place in this society. I'm ready to go to my Truman class and have no idea what the essay is about except for this quote. So thanks Truman, for making me read this essay, because I was able to write a whole blog about it. You go Bulldogs! 

No comments:

Post a Comment